Sunday, March 20, 2016

My New Normal #SOL16

The Easter Season is one of my most favorite times of the year.  It holds a beautiful saving story and memories of the Hallelujah chorus, First United Methodist Church, Easter baskets, new dresses, shoes and handbags that match, lilies, home cooked meals, home, and family.  This year is going to be vastly different.

Today at the grocery store, I had a moment where I wondered what I was going to make for Meme for Easter lunch.  I thought about going ahead and picking up a few key ingredients that have graced the family table as long as I can remember.  The last few years, I have tried to make sure that she had holidays that were as similar as we had growing up.  Suddenly, it hit me square between the eyes....  she's celebrating this season in heaven with Mom, Angie, and Grandaddy.

You see, I don't wish for them to come back from Heaven.  That is totally selfish, and I can't wait to join them.  However, I'm not good at change.  I like traditions.  I love being surrounded by my family.  Gosh, I miss them so much!  Holidays will be forever be different ,and my heart and mind are having a hard time adjusting to my new normal.


12 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss. Your tribute and the memories of your family speak to the beauty of who they are and the special place they have in your heart forever. I wish you many blessings as you move into the Easter celebration season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for your loss. Your tribute and the memories of your family speak to the beauty of who they are and the special place they have in your heart forever. I wish you many blessings as you move into the Easter celebration season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A "new normal" is a great way to look at things. I love your honesty in this post. I wish you a Blessed Easter, and healing comfort as you grow accustomed to your new normal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry for your loss. I lost my dad this January. This will be our first Holiday without him. I'm not ready for my new normal either. Thank you for sharing your story this past week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry for your loss. You'll be in my prayers during this week. Hold on to the wonderful memories, and the comfort of where they'll be celebrating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mandy you are a gift. I love being your friend. Your honesty is always refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean. My beloved Grandmother passed away right before Christmas and so each holiday that comes is the first one without her. She always made delicious Easter pies and one year she helped me make them to bring to my husband's family. I'm going to miss her so much this Easter. I hope you feel the love of your loved one shining down on you this Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is holidays when we really miss our loved ones - traditions don't seem to be the same any more. May you feel their love throughout Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a heartbreaking, yet hopeful post. I hope you have a wonderful Easter and that your memories will bring you happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Prayers for the hope and joy of Easter to fill your heart this year especially. Hold on to traditions, and start new ones, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holidays can be difficult times when you are grieving. I know I miss my dad too on Easter. I miss his sermon or sharing about the Gospel. He is in heaven; so, like you I don't wish him back.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Moments like the one you describe in the grocery store represent the beauty and heartache that come with risking connection. Love and loss go hand and in hand. I don't think you have to like your new normal. Give yourself time and space to grieve, and remember that feelings aren't always facts. Love ya friend!

    ReplyDelete