Sunday, March 13, 2016

Spring Break Morning #SOL16






Day two of Spring Break:
This morning, I am up finishing some grad school projects while sister and Ellyce are still sleeping.  

As I sit at our family breakfast table, I glanced up and saw this site. It took my breath away for a minute. If I listen very closely, I can hear my grandfather whistling his quiet tune while the coffee maker perks.  In the adjoining living room, the rocking of my grandmother's recliner could join in the morning tune.  The two of them were the perfect complement to each other and the life in this home. 

This home has been part of our family since 1971.  This view has always looked like this!  Gosh I am going to miss the familiarity of this view!


  
I glance up again....

I honestly never realized how much my grandmother liked bold patterns.  It was just the way this house has always been.  However, as I stroll through it, I am soaking up all of the memories and goodness. 
 I realize she loved a good pattern!  
It makes me chuckle.  
I can almost hear her fussing over each detail.  You see, my grandfather had this house built to her satisfaction. He allowed her to pick out the finest details and furnishings.  

Over the years, our family has worn out some of her treasures, but her touch and choices still remain.

This home and the man and woman who built it are precious to me. 






8 comments:

  1. What a lovely post! Thanks for including the photo, I feel like I'm listening and wondering right in that kitchen with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am spending this week reflecting while we get ready for an estate sell.

      Delete
  2. Your post leaves me with a heavy heart. The way you hear, the way you see, the way you smell your home. They are precious memories to cherish forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry! I am just trying to soak up every moment I have left in this home.

      Delete
  3. Mandy, I love this post. I wish you the best this week as you soak up every ounce that you can. This is exactly how I felt when we sold our house where I grew up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! This is the hardest thing, ever!

      Delete
  4. Your memories mixed with grief are beautiful Mandy. Your words capture powerful truths about family, love, and home.

    ReplyDelete