Saturday, March 28, 2015

SOL #28 The Smell of Dirt

I found this note card in some of my stuff not too long ago, and it spoke to my heart.


I do not remember why I wrote it the first time, but I completely believe that I was suppose to find it for this spring!  I always spend at least one weekend working on my yard every spring.

This year, it is my goal to make it a place that I enjoy hanging out and spending time.  I am a nature girl!  I love everything about being outside.

Some of my fondest memories from childhood happened in my grandparents' back yard.  Living only two blocks away, we spent a lot of time at Meme and Grandaddy's.

They would come home after work, change into their yard clothes, and get to work.  My grandfather would water everything, mow (if it was time), prune, pick up...just about anything to stay outside.  My grandmother would sweep, make glasses of tea, pull some weeds, and rock in her chair.  It was a great time!  We loved their back yard!

Through the years of home ownership, I have added many of the same plants that they had in my own yard.  I have new varieties that I love, but I keep the traditional ones, too!  Yes, I am so very sentimental!  What a joy it is to have pieces of youth growing in my flower bed.  I even transplanted some of my grandfather's fern to my yard!  Precious to me!!

So, this spring, if you are looking for me, I plan to be outside getting my hands dirty!


No comments:

Post a Comment